Recipe | Creamy Mushroom Risotto
Serves: 2 people
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot (or ½ white onion) – diced
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 100g / 1 cup button mushrooms – thinly sliced
- 100g / ½ cup risotto rice
- Approx 500ml / 2 cups vegetable stock
- (Optional) ½ tbsp white wine vinegar*
- (Optional) 4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes**
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook on a medium-low heat until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the risotto rice and immediately pour in the stock and vinegar (if using). Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Add more hot water, if necessary.
- Once cooked, stir in the nutritional yeast (if using), stir in a handful of chopped fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
**Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavour but again, still works well when left out.